Monday, April 9, 2018

Fad Gadget - Fireside Favourites (1980)


Dark, pissed-off English synth pop with a distinctly political bent. Angular, jerky grooves aired out by hovering synths, and vocals that range from unfeeling, robotic singing to visceral, unhinged shouts to a sarcastic croon.

Track listing:
1. Pedestrian
2. State of the Nation
3. Salt Lake City Sunday
4. Coitus Interruptus
5. Fireside Favourite
6. Newsreel
7. Insecticide
8. The Box
9. Arch of the Aorta

Your head was on my shoulder
Now I'm kissing a skull


If you like this, try:
Second Layer - Flesh as Property
(1979) + State of Emergency (1981)
John Foxx -
Metamatic (1980)

5 comments:

  1. Dang, haven't heard this in years! Had it on vinyl until around 14 y old until my stupid friend did a half-assed ollie over a pile of my records, I had left them in the garage on the floor...
    also cracking my entire collection of M.D.C. albums!

    Tz

    ReplyDelete
  2. "pissed-off" "distinctly political bent" "Angular, jerky grooves aired out by hovering synths"
    "vocals"..."unfeeling, robotic singing to visceral, unhinged shouts to a sarcastic croon."
    PERFECT!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a terrific record. Do you have Gag by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and 42 years later, I still don't know if Insecticide is kind of like pesticide, or if it's an insect murder. Anyway, I bought all 4 albums 1980-84, and by accident (?) I found this (not very Fad) bootleg the other day; 'Fad Gadget - Live at The Arena, Rotterdam, 1984.03.17', free of charge...

    Gagged,
    J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insecticide is a poison, usually found in spray form, used to kill insects. Like Raid.

      Delete