Sunday, May 6, 2018

Footpaths - Footpaths (2012)


Had to take a quick trip back east that included a funeral, a heinous upper-middle-class quasi-redneck party, drinking in a Massachusetts college town on Cinco de Mayo, then waking up at an ungodly hour to catch a plane back here. Thus I am cranky and dead to the fucking world.

On the bright side, though, I'm in the perfect state of mind for these evocative, acoustic guitar-based sounds, which I've been meaning to post about for a while now. Courtesy of American musician Jon Rosenthal, who, among other much more significant things, is a semi-regular commenter on this dumb blog. Classically-inspired guitar figures against a backdrop of harmonium, melodica, and field recordings, or, as Rosenthal puts it, "audio photographs of small and/or ghost towns strewn about the Midwest and Florida." Everything on his bandcamp is free/name your price AND great, so get at it!!

Track listing:
1. Birnamwood, WI
2. Deepwater, MO
3. Fort Lonesome, FL
4. Four Houses, KS
5. Paradise, KY
6. Sacred Heart, OK

Watching headlights disappear

You might also enjoy:
Christina Carter -
Bastard Wing (2003)
Ilyas Ahmed -
Speaking of Shadows (2006)

5 comments:

  1. Where in Mass. I live north of Amherst but I know some parts of this state are the ass end of the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in a bunch of different towns in Western Mass. The college town in question was Northampton, which is generally pretty nice as far as I'm concerned, but was pretty goddamn rough on Cinco de Mayo -- whole lotta red-faced middle-aged men in sombreros and kaki shorts

      Delete
    2. *White middle-aged men, in case it's not clear

      Delete
  2. Ah, the Happy Valley. I wish I could be there right now, high as a kite and listening to The Plateaux of Mirror.

    But since I'm a middle-aged white man myself now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muito bom, achei lindo demais.valeu pelo post.

    ReplyDelete